Sunday, September 7, 2008

who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

Somewhere along the way, I was taught (and I'm not sure by whom) not to blame others for things in your life not working out. You control how you react, how hard you work, the things you get in life, and so on and so forth.

Being the extremist I am, I apparently thought that meant everything was my fault.
I don't mean that literally, but I do find myself blaming myself in situations where, in all honesty: there is no fault to assign. It just is. The human experience is participatory, and there is no set order of events if you "do the right thing".

Yes, you influence your own destiny. But how can you enjoy life if you are constantly blaming yourself at every turn?

And why don't they teach that on Sesame Street?

No comments: